Leaflet 10a in the Needlework Development Scheme’s series “And So To Sew” includes techniques used when sewing a fitted wool dress from a commercial pattern, plus a full pattern for a tailored collar and cuffs.
- The order of sewing
- Finishing a neckline with a bias binding facing
- Inserting a woollen sleeve
- The overcast hem
- How to make a vintage style belt
- How to sew belt carriers or belt loops
- Tailored collar and cuffs (pattern included) The frilled bib shown on the cover is from And So To Sew bulletin 2a
Since we don’t all have a sewing teacher on hand to help with any questions, I have added some modern tutorials wherever possible to help.
Finishing a Neckline with a Bias Binding Facing by Professor Pincushion
How to Insert a Sleeve by Made to Sew
This very thorough tutorial gives you all the information you need to insert a sleeve in any garment.
How to Make a Fabric Belt by Professor Pincushion
How to Sew Belt Carriers or Loops by Professor Pincushion
This video includes how to sew loops onto a waist band. For a dress, use the instructions in the leaflet above.