Leaflet 2a in the Needlework Development Scheme’s series “And So To Sew” includes:
- Two collar patterns, one with ruffles and matching cuffs
- Terms and techniques including:
- French tacking
- Back Stitch
- Machine sewing tips
- Slip stitching (hems)
- Creating (folding) a hem
- Bias strips
- Rolled hems
- Buttons (positioning and sewing)
- Press studs (aka poppers)
- Blanket stitch
- A description of cotton, cotton fabrics and their basic laundering
- How to enlarge and cut out the patterns supplied.
Since these leaflets were originally intended to be used by teachers, I am including some modern tutorials since anyone downloading them probably won’t have a teacher to help.
Basting by Colleen G Lea
Back Stitch by Red Ted Art
Slip Stitch Hems and Folding a Hem by Angela Wolf
Hand Sew a Rolled Hem by Threads
This is slightly different to the instructions from the leaflet, but I think it’s easier to work.
How to Sew Buttonhole Stitch
Overcasting by Colleen G Lea
Blanket stitch by Mary Corbet
Note: this is blanket stitch. The buttonhole stitch tutorial above is a different stitch. The names tend to be interchangeable in embroidery these days, but in garment sewing they are two different, although related, stitches.