Two of the great things about making your own cheese spreads is that you can use lactose free dairy products for a totally lactose free spread, and you can flavour it any way you like.
- 2 cups of hard cheese – use lactose free cheese for a lactose free spread
- 2 eggs
- salt, pepper and mustard to taste
- 2 tablespoons of milk – use lactose free milk for a lactose free spread
- 2 tablespoons of butter (optional) or dairy free margarine
- Makes enough spread for 14-16 slices of toast/sandwiches
Mix everything together in the top of a double boiler and stir over a medium heat.
If you’re going to use it straight away cook it until it’s as thick as you want but still spreadable.
If you’re going to store it in the fridge, cook it until it’s about as thick as thick or double cream as it will set firmer in the fridge.
To serve, spread on toast, crackers or crusty bread.