A creamy chicken salad, perfect for the Summertime Christmas table. Originally published in the Australian Women’s Weekly, December 2nd, 1953
- 570 ml or 2 1/4 US cups of chicken or vegetable stock (not 2 1/2 US cups as I say in the video!)
- 8 teaspoons or 2 Australian tablespoons of gelatine
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 chopped gherkin (or other sweet pickle)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups of diced, cooked chicken. I diced some chicken breast and cooked it very quickly in a frying pan/skillet
- Salad vegetables and lettuce leaves for garnish
Take 3/4 of a cup of the stock and put the gelatine in it to soak
Put the rest of the stock in a saucepan and heat gently.
Add the gelatine mixture and stir until completely dissolved.
Let it cool, put it in a bowl and refrigerate until it has partially set, about the consistency of thick cream.
Mix the carrot, celery, gherkin, chicken and mayonnaise.
Mix the chicken mixture and gelatine together
Rinse the mould with water and while still wet, pour the chicken mixture in.
Refridgerate until set.
When set, put some lettuce leaves artfully over the top of the mould and turn out into a plate.
Garnish with your choice of salad vegetables.