Leaflet 1a in the Needlework Development Scheme’s series “And So To Sew” includes:
- An introduction to the basic tools needed to sew a project
- How to straighten the cut edge of your fabric.
- How to enlarge the patterns given with “And So To Sew” leaflets.
- How to prick and pounce a pattern with powdered chalk to transfer a design to felt.
- How to sew and press wool or rabbit fur felt.
- A pattern for felt mittens and cap with couched embroidery. These can also be made from upcycled woollen jumpers (sweaters), that have been shrunk in the wash.
- How to work couched embroidery and whip stitch two pieces of felt together.
- How to keep elastic in place using herringbone stitch.
- A chart showing which size thread, hand and machine needles to use with particular threads.
- A list of techniques that will be covered in leaflets 2a to 5a
If you prefer modern style instructions for the embroidery stitches in this leaflet, here are some I have found online.