Leaflet 35b in the Needlework Development Scheme’s series “And So To Embroider” covers various things to consider when you want to create textural and visual texture in a piece of embroidery such as choice of fabric, pattern and stitch.
The sample embroidery projects include:
- A reversible towelling bath mat
- Sheer net curtains
- A seerloop cotton cushion. Seerloop fabrics seem to have a different name these days, but they are weaves with strands of thread sitting on the surface.
- A striped wool and felt cushion
- A traycloth made with a purchased cloth with a contrast coloured stripe meant for embroidery
- A shadow work organdie tea cosy
- A work bag made of embroidery canvas