Leaflet 23b in the Needlework Development Scheme’s series “And So To Embroider” discusses different ways you can use the weave of a textured fabric to inspire your embroidery designs and create coordinating, but different projects from the same fabric.
The sample projects shown include curtains, chair-back, cushion, table mats and stool top that all use the same fabric to different effects.
The techniques used include:
- Removing threads to be replaced by embroidery thread in another colour
- Applique inspired by the fabric design
- Using the threads of the weave as a base for particular stitches
- Adding fringe or tassels attached to the decorative weft or warp of the cloth
- Using the back of the fabric to make a coordinating project