Leaflet 28b in the Needlework Development Scheme’s series “And So To Embroider” covers different ways to add lettering to your projects with embroidery. It includes:
- A full cross stitch alphabet
- Lettering in bands and corner motifs
- Tent stitch monogram of a fancy letter M
- Initials in Assisi work
- Using thick and thin threads for interest
- A sample of how to use a monogram within a larger design on felt. This design is on a sturdy felt and fabric bag that would be easy to draft at any size you choose from the photograph and description.
- A coat hanger case with letter R worked in simple stitches
- Lettering incorporated into a calligraphic design using double knot stitch
- Shadow work initials
- Padded satin stitch monograms
Cross Stitch by Busy Mothers World
This free Assisi design by Carol Leather will teach you all about working simple designs in Assisi embroidery
Tent Stitch by Sarah Homfray Embroidery
Double Back Stitch by Busy Mothers World
This video is quite shaky but it covers the technique better than any others I could find.