The following is a list of yarn charities around the world.
Yarn Charities are organizations soliciting donations of the following items for distribution to the needy:
- Yarn craft tools and notions such as knitting needles, crochet hooks, etc.
- Finished yarn craft items such as hats, scarves, gloves, sweaters, socks, blankets, etc.
Each charity has its own guidelines for donation. See individual articles for more information. Please take care not to send inappropriate items to a charity, send only what they ask for.
See External Links below for lists of yarn charities and yarn charity search engines.
Includes knit charities and crochet charities.
- Afghans for Afghans
- United States, Canada. Collects wool blankets, sweaters, vests, hats, mittens, and socks for children and adults to send to Afghanistan.
- Caps for a Cure
- United States. Collects knit or crochet hats for chemotherapy patients.
- Dulaan Project
- United States. Collects hats, mittens, socks, neck gaitors, scarves and sweaters for children and adults (particularly ages 2-10) to send to Mongolia.
- Knit A River
- United Kingdom. No longer solicits donations. Collected blue squares to create a giant knit "river" for WaterAid.
- Knitting Pals by the Bay
- SF Bay Area. The Pals came into being with one purpose, to knit chemo caps for Bay Area cancer patients of all ages. The need is great and the project is ongoing. Hospitals and clinics in San Francisco, Daly City, South San Francisco, San Mateo, Burlingame, Palo Alto, and Oakland are receiving donated caps for children, teens, and adults. If you are interested in participating, please contact the Pals at their website at http://www.knittingpals.org/.
- Newborns in Need
- United States. Collects preemie and newborn items for ill and needy babies. Also collects tools and supplies.
- Project Linus
- United States. Collects machine-washable blankets for traumatized or seriously ill children.
- Red Scarf Project
- United States. Only solicits donations during January. Collects red scarves as Valentine's Day gifts for teenagers in foster care heading to college.
- Warming Families
- United States, Canada, International. Collects blankets, sweaters, hats, gloves, scarves, socks, and toys for homeless or displaced families.
- Warm Up America
- United States. Collects 7" x 9" washable rectangles to be joined into finished blankets, and finished blankets.